Monday, January 6, 2014

Engineering Design Symposium at KRHS January 8



Hello everyone,

As you may or may not know a few years back, I switched careers and started teaching engineering to high school students at Kettle Run High School in Fauquier County.  From the beginning, I have tried to have a classroom that I would like to have had when I was in high school.   I try to make their experience the kind of experience that someday they will look back and say, “Yeah, we talked about that way back in Mr. Davidson’s class.  That’s not a new concept,” or “I designed one of those way back in 2013!”

In their current project, students design and fabricate a device that will meet the specific needs of a person with a disability. Through use of a model/prototype, display, and notebook, students document and justify their approach and reasoning in identifying a problem and their solution’s direct impact on a member of their community and on society. The students justify and demonstrate their solution to their identified problem in a timed presentation.

On the evening of January 8, 2013 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., the students will be presenting their projects for public viewing in the library.   I would like to invite you to come out to our high school and I encourage you to engage these bright young minds in a conversation.  They are attempting to tackle Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, osteoporosis, among other things.

I would really appreciate seeing you there.  Let me know if you are going to make it, but if you can’t decide until the last second that’s okay too.  I hope to see you there.


Bill Davidson
CTE Teacher/TSA Advisor/VASTS Master Teacher
Kettle Run High School
(540) 422-7330

“Scientist investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been.”  ~Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment